Thursday, October 25, 2012

Love Stone

Located at Kiyomizudera (清水寺) in the heart of Kyoto there are a pair of stones that people from all over the world come to visit. They are called the love stones or 恋占いの石. This means the "fortune telling  stones" and their purpose is to help one find love.


There are two stones located at 20ft apart. The person who is seeking love starts at one stone, closes their eyes and begins to walk towards the other. Here are the English directions located at the love stone:


This may seem silly and superstitious (much of Japanese culture based in superstition) but when I visited kiyomizudera I had the opportunity to attempt the challenge. At the time my girlfriend and I were having some problems (as we were living across an ocean from each other at the time) and I was truly very nervous attempting to do this. I am generally not superstitious, and I am not Japanese, but when I got to that other stone with my eyes closed I was ECSTATIC. I was so happy that I practically jumped up and down. Now, that same girl is now my fiance. It goes to show what a little superstition can do sometimes.







1 comment:

  1. I agree. A lot of times it's important to believe in something- and in some cases it doesn't matter if it's true or not. It just matters that you believe.

    ReplyDelete