Saturday, October 6, 2012

Gundam Cafe

For all of you Gundam fans I am sure you are happy to know this actually exists!



The Gundam Cafe is located in Akihabara (Akiba for short) which is pretty much the anime/manga/otaku/electronics/hentai/etc. center of Tokyo. Its grand opening was on April 24th 2010. I myself did not know this existed and stumbled across it on my way back to Akihabara station from a day wandering the many video game and anime stores Akihabara has to offer.

Obviously I had to go in and check it out. Upon my arrival I was greeted by hostesses dressed in Gundam attire (Earth Alliance and Federation cosplay) and once I saw that I could drink Jaburo blend coffee (Jaburo being a fictional location within the Gundam universe) I immediately told my travel partner that we needed to try it out.

We were lucky enough to walk in and get a seat immediately which I have heard since was a rarity. When the Gundam Cafe first opened the line to get in was on average a two hour wait for weeks!  I imagine the design of the cafe is based off of the White Horse mess hall or something similar.


The walls are plastered with awesome Gundam artwork including cells from the shows, models and large Gundam replicas. Even the bathroom mirror is in the design of a Gundam face! Oh, and the toilet seat goes up all by itself when you enter.. At least in the men's restroom!

As I said before they offer different blends of coffee, food, and of course, Gundam merchandise. All of which if you are a hardcore Gundam fan you will thoroughly enjoy.







Bottom line, if you are in Akihabara, whether you are a Gundam fan or not, this is an AWESOME place to visit! It represents one of the many subcultures of Japan and the Gundam Universe has one of the largest anime followings as its franchise has a very long and intricate history as well. If you go eat a Saber Beam Churro for me!

Links:
Gundam Cafe Official Site!

No comments:

Post a Comment